Posts for: March, 2020
How your gastroenterologist in New York, NY, can help you feel better
If you are suffering from abdominal pain, it could be a warning sign of irritable bowel syndrome, commonly known as IBS. Fortunately, the condition can be managed effectively by a proper gastroenterologist, such as Dr. Babak Mohajer. Read on to learn how his New York practice can help relieve your IBS symptoms.
More about IBS
IBS is a chronic condition that affects your large intestine. It is believed to be caused by poor or abnormal functioning of your GI nervous system. The muscular lining of your intestines doesn’t move correctly, so food doesn’t travel well from your stomach down through your intestinal tract.
You may have IBS if you are experiencing:
- Frequent and severe abdominal pain and cramping
- Chronic bloating and gas
- Frequent constipation or diarrhea
- Frequent mucus in your stools
There are some things you can do to try and minimize symptoms of IBS. Remember to avoid carbonated beverages, alcohol, chocolate, spicy foods, fats, beans, milk, cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli, because these foods can cause painful symptoms. You should also monitor and reduce your stress levels whenever possible.
Dr. Mohajer offers several ways to treat IBS. He may recommend:
- Medications to reduce intestinal spasms, antibiotics, and anti-diarrheal medications
- These medications include Alosetron to relax the colon, and Lubiprostone to increase fluid secretion to more easily pass stools
- Dietary changes to eliminate excess gas, gluten, and high-sugar foods
- Lifestyle modifications including increasing exercise, practicing relaxation techniques, or meditating to reduce stress
Irritable bowel syndrome doesn’t have to control your life—you can find relief. To learn more about IBS signs, symptoms, and treatments, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Babak Mohajer in New York, NY, at (212) 260-6505 today.